On June 3, 2016 the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published a rule (81 FR 35823-35942) that finalizes amendments and the addition of new standards to the existing new source performance standards (NSPS) for the Oil and natural gas source category. The rule establishes new greenhouse gases (GHGs) and VOC standards in this source category.
The emission sources affected by the GHGs and VOC standards include the following:
Sources that are unregulated by the current NSPS
- Hydraulically fractured oil well completions
- Pneumatic pumps
- Fugitive emissions from well sites and compressor stations
Sources that are regulated for VOC but not for GHGs
- Hydraulically fractured gas well completions
- Equipment leaks at natural gas processing plants
Certain Equipment that is used across the source category in which VOCs are currently regulated only from a subset
- Pneumatic controllers
- Centrifugal compressors
- Reciprocating compressors
The final rule is effective August 2, 2016.